Sunday, December 12, 2010

sweet synchronicity

the other day after exiting a coffee shop, I made my way down the sidewalk and observed my fellow human beings. many brushed past me on their cell phones, while others would stare blankly ahead at the empty space in front of them, perhaps running through their mental "to-do lists," thinking about their destinations, or recalling past conversations. that's when I realized why it is so refreshing (albeit rare) to make eye-contact with smiling strangers. it's like connecting, if only for a second, with someone else who is awake in the dream.

after a minute or so I made it to the end of the sidewalk. while waiting for the stoplight to change so I could cross the street, I took the first, precious sip of my eggnog latte. I instantly felt the familiar spark of warmth that starts in the chest and then spreads throughout the entire body. it was right at that moment that it occurred to me how that feeling of comfort is not too different from the ever-present joy that has lately been pervading my heart, my being. in fact, they are almost identical.

No comments:

Post a Comment