Friday, December 16, 2011

season's musings

lately, a certain idea has been crossing my mind: the fragility of existence. I know it's nothing profound; it's just...sometimes, when I take a step back and ponder the fact that we're all here on this planet going through our experiences together...I don't know. I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say. I just know that everything has started feeling more delicate. life has so much beauty...and, of course, so much pain. it's as if I've come to view everyone and everything as pieces that make up a set of fine china. that sounds sort of lame, but I don't know how else to describe what I'm feeling...except for maybe this quote from "Desiderata."

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story...be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars."

I hadn't started feeling any sort of holiday spirit until today. though it's only slowly creeping on me, I hope it continues to do so in spite of certain changes to my family's situation...because it can be such a special--even magical--time. during this season especially may we remember the most important gift & treasure of this life: love.

No comments:

Post a Comment