Thursday, July 25, 2013

rambled, repetitive thoughts

This morning something occurred to me. I mean, I've thought about this a lot recently but for some reason this morning in the kitchen I was reminded and wanted to write about it. This probably isn't going to make sense, but I want to try and get my thoughts out somewhere. I apologize for any incoherence.

So recently I've been thinking a lot about the word "worship" and the way so many of us are taught and feel the need to fixate on worshiping higher powers. This may sound weird because I've grown up hearing it all the time, but the word just has such a weird connotation for me. I don't know. Maybe because I don't find it necessary. Or at least the dramatic way that it often occurs. I don't think God, or whatever term you want to use to describe the Creator, has any desire or need for us to "worship" Him/Her (those pronouns aren't even necessary).

It just seems like spending so much time worshiping can make us feel unworthy. From this viewpoint many of us say that all humans are "sinners." And according to this, a power higher than ourselves is far better than we are and ever could or will be. Thinking this way takes us away from the opportunity to work on ourselves and belittles us, separating us from who we really are. It also can take the focus off of ourselves and our own chances for personal growth. It seems like an easy way to disregard personal responsibility, thinking our troubles are too difficult for us to handle on our own and that things happen to us for no specific reason.

We are so busy worshiping wise souls and turning prophets into idols that we forget their original messages. We put people on pedestals, as if we are incapable of achieving their same level of wisdom and greatness because they were somehow chosen and created by God to be better than the rest of us. It's sad because the expansive journey toward Self is beautiful...and the whole concept and desire of this Universe (I am not wording anything properly right now) is beyond words.

Perhaps instead of constantly "worshiping," we could work on trying to better understand our Oneness, express daily gratitude, and acknowledge the need to love and serve one another.

But this is just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment